Monday, June 13, 2011

the rain just keeps..

falling.

It. Never. Ends.
I swear. It will rain up until the day I leave this place....

Anyway, it has been way too long since I have updated this thing. Where do I even begin?!
I think I will start by saying that I am sitting in the Hart Building (where the gym is) right now because I made a deal with Keith that I will work out twice a day for a week. Yikes. I know. We'll see how this goes.

I have also been doing this service "project" every Tuesday and Thursday...It's been really great actually. I absolutely love going. I go with a group of kids from school and we go visit the nursing/assisted living homes here in Rexburg. Definitely not something I would ever think I could enjoy. But I do, more than I ever imagined. Its only an hour long but for that whole hour, I don't have to think about anything except those people sitting around me and making their day a little better. I don't stress about homework, tests, callings, roommates, what to make for dinner, and most importantly, I don't think about myself...at all. Its really quite refreshing to focus completely on someone else and the things that I can do for them. It's so easy to get all caught up in things that don't matter. Visiting these cute elderly people has helped me realize just how lucky I am to have a family that loves me, friends still around me, and a healthy, able body to live in (for now).

Last Thursday we (my roommate and I and a few others) went to visit with a lady named Allison. She was the happiest and cutest little lady. She laughed and visited with us the whole hour. She asked about school, families, and our interests in life. She told us all about her kids and grandchildren. This doesn't sound very interesting or remarkable, I'm sure. Probably just sounds like a typical conversation. Well, what if I told you that Allison was literally run over by a Semi-truck while driving on the freeway when she was 23? Yeah, pretty amazing that she is even alive right? She has some trouble speaking and finding the words to say, but that seems to be the only noticeable difference between her and her neighbors. It made me think about my own life and how she was only 3 years older than I am now when her life was completely turned upside down. I realized how lucky I am and wondered if I would be the happy, cheerful person she is today if I was in her shoes. It's hard to say how I would be.

On a brighter note, school is almost over. THANK GOODNESS. I am so ready to be done. ughhhhhhh. I just want to go home and work two jobs. Not being sarcastic in the slightest about that. I want to make money and not have to do anything else. Laying on the beach would be nice too though :) I just want to get out of Rexburg and not have homework for 5 months. This semester seems to be going wayyyyy tooooooo sloooooow. Oh well. Just gotta keep going.

Sorry there really isn't a lot going on here....
This was kind of a rambling post too.
I swear next time will be more interesting.

Maybe I will even have some photos.


love you guys!

2 comments:

  1. You...
    are.so.great.

    Such a good example of service and a good attitude.
    I can't wait to go to Yellowstone together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your stream of consciousness! I can't wait for you to be home too.

    ReplyDelete